In simple words speargun is a firing arm that helps you catch a fish or other animals underwater. It is also known as a scuba gun and they have a trigger mechanism that they run on. Spearguns are used for spearfishing, a few use it for a living, can be used for snorkeling and underwater for target shooting and other can use the same as a thrilling adventurous sport.
These guns differ in make a little according to countries, but as far as the purpose is concerned, it remains somewhat the same as explained in this Premium Guide to buy the best speargun. The demand of it in rising side and in these years & it’s going to be one of weapon to look for. Let’s explore more about this
Type of speargun
There are two types of speargun that you primarily need to know about. They are as follows:
• Rubber powered – This is a cheaper resource, also known as band powered and is easy to be found in most fisherman supply shops. These are of two types in turn, one is made from wood and the other is made from metals. Now this type is popular for using under water.
• Air powered – Most popularly known as a Pneumatic gun that were quite a rage in the 60’s through 70’s. This kind of a gun has a thicker spear that uses a combination of pressure and rubber band for shooting.
Is speargun safe for user?
While bearing a weapon of any kind, you need to keep them safe as a responsible arm owner. You need to keep it under control and know when to pull the trigger. Never point it at something that you never wish to kill and also remember to stay away from bigger species like sting ray and electric eel if using it underwater.
In this post, we’d like to suggest you the Best spearguns that help you to choose the best one and start to hunt the fish. Hope you have interesting time & real experience with spearfishing
We have curated a few of the spearguns under scanner for you, read this section till the end to get a fair understanding about these weapons.
Speargun, Hammerhead Evolution 2
Talking of which, brings us to discuss the Hammerhead Evolution 2 that is known for its accurate Helix power system. It has a well contoured, but ergonomic grip and the 17-4 stainless steel body makes it very sturdy and heat resistant as well. Its integrated rail adds to the strength of this speargun. It has a mono shooting line, meets all standards and Evolution2™ makes it easy to use. In short, it has all that it needs to win your heart right from safety mechanics to comfortable grip. However, the spear is little thin and if that is a predicament, then you can move on to the next model.
Mares Viper Pro Spearguns
This actually moves like a viper in the water, which means it is a powerful spear that you will ever come across. It can swivel with dual slings and works with accuracy that makes shooting real fun. It works with a stainless steel mechanism release and it has a sensitive trigger that assists you while shooting. In addition to this, the Viper Pro is available in varied length that you can choose from. You can customize the handle, has a stainless steel line and has a shaft with 6.5 mm thickness. One problem that people of petite frame may face is that of loading this gun, otherwise, it is good to go.
Sopras Sub High Precision Rubber Band SpearGun
If you are looking for a long speargun, then this has to be it. This is 100 cm in length, which could give you strategic advantage while hunting. What makes it more interesting is the traditional aluminum body that makes it durable. The shooting mechanism is silent and that means it helps you maintain a low profile while shooting. Yes, the gun handle is plastic molded, but this does not come as a hindrance at all. The loading pad comes with proper cushioning and the stainless steel line makes it easy to load. These features together make it worth a spear for a professional as well as a noob.
Mares Bandit Sling Band Speargun
This one has too many things to be spoken of and is regarded as a boon for beginners. Although, people with intermediate experience can also use it for their benefit, yet this is a cool weapon that swears by the Australasian rigging. The Tahitian styled tri-cut tip of 7mm with a beautiful spear shaft and most ergonomic design is its MVP. The barrel is made from anodized aluminum that is corrosion resistant. They don’t call it the Bandit just like that, but it has attributes that make it a fine weapon for conducting various underwater activities. It is a high performance speargun that is quite available at quite an affordable price.
Cressi Comanche Speargun, Ruber Sling Spear Gun
CRESSI has been serving the fishing industry ever since 1946. Comanche is a popular series from their collection and has been dubbed as a world champion owing to its perfection. It has a strong build of aluminum and the use of next generation technology makes it a real deal. The thermoplastics, non-deformable handgrip and the hydrodynamic point, altogether make it a product to look forward to. The dovetail trigger, black bands and reactive quick turns it into something that every water sporting enthusiast can literally dream of. Moreover, the shaft system and reloading with sternal support add to its glory.
Cressi Sioux Speargun
This is considered as a perfect gear for beginners that can be used effectively with little practice. This made from quality materials and is easy to aim as well as fire with. The barrel is made from aluminum (anti-corrodal) and is known for its ergonomics. In addition to this, it has to be mentioned that the trigger framework is extremely delicate and dynamic, and is fitted with a security latch. The dovetail trigger for the reel and to some degree propelled. The muzzle has 13 mm standard groups finish with a straightforward curvature that is in correct proportion between stacking ease and forward push. With all this, it becomes a great tool to use while catching fish or any other underwater animal.
Hammerhead Proteus Spearguns (Reels Not Included)
• The barrel of this gun is fully railed and coupled with Helix power band. This property helps to bring in versatility, adaptability and capability.
• The handle of the gun is preoccupied with a safety line release. It is built with a clip that allows for tagging up to the line. It helps for clipping on a fish brace.
• A variety of shaft and spearhead combination helps perfect and limited shooting
• By dint of the Hammerhead Proteus, the rapid fire single band load is effective and shooting needs no wrapping
• This product can be auto-upgraded to the next level
• The handle, despite being provided with safety catch, have been reported against of causing severe problems while handling
• Safety catch reel is reported as not included
(3)Rob Allen Vecta Tuna Aluminum Barrel Speargun for Diving and Spearfishing
• This gun offers a powerful, fast and well balanced rig. This helps to hunt fish at deeper length
• These Spearguns have an extended rail incorporated into the aluminium barrel that helps the build up with some ultimate strength
• The rail-barrels have the same dimensions as carbon barrels. Thus, the integral has become a part of the barrel and increases stiffness, reduces flex. This phenomenon has made the gun fiercely accurate.
• Depending on the application, these guns have been reported to work well on various occasions
• The heaviness of the guns is helpful to absorb more recoil and thus the effectiveness is also enhanced.
• The aluminium barrel gets heated fast and thus cause problem in handling
• Safety catch reel is not perfectly loaded as reported.
JBL Sawed-Off Magnum Woody Speargun
• The product is equipped with JBL’s revolutionary M-8, three-piece trigger mechanism. With compound leverage design and stainless component has made it strongest weapon.
• The trigger mechanism facilitates a smooth and effortless trigger pull.
• It is said that shooting with this weapon is like pointing followed shooting and eating.
• The handle is made with 45o ergonomic and affluent design and hex pattern. Such a design and pattern increases grip control and accuracy.
• This featured product is all excellent for a starter and helps to practice shooting below water with eased effort.
• The wood in the barrel has been reported to have crack after using for a long time. According to reviewers, this is probably a long-drawn negativity in this excellently made weapon.
• With this gun too, safety catch reel is said to cause problems at times.
AB Biller Stainless Steel Professional Speargun
As we have already mentioned it that Biller is a company to look up to, the present product is no exception to this. This company alone can provide you with so much of variety but they never compromise on the quality. The Stainless Steel Professional is a great product to start with. You all know that a speargun has to be light in weight because unless you are a well built person, a heavy weight gun will be of no use to you. Besides, investing in the wrong size gun can ruin your fishing experience indubitably.
Spearos like the Stainless Steel Professional because it has a trigger and grip mechanism that can work in sync and produce great results. This is a smooth working speargun and you can use this underwater as well as shore hunting. Yes, this is a versatile gun that knows no limits. More to the point would be to say that this is a gem of a gun that can be used in any climate. Here is more on this:
• Suave looking speargun
• The stainless shaft makes it hardy enough
• Has a muzzle top that is easy to load
• It comes equipped and is ready to use right out of the box
• It has been considered a blessing for good long shots
One thing that we would like to urge our readers is that of, to learn speargun first and then jump into the water. There are quite a few that have complained about the gun being flimsy underwater. We are unaware, what that even means. Nonetheless, we request our readers to learn it and then try diving into the waters.
SALVIMAR V-Pro Speargun with Reel
It has been rightly named the Voodoo, because of the enticing neon green handle. This Arbalete Speargun has been made out of aeronautical grade aluminum and has been given an anodized coating. There is no need of explaining of how well made this gun is and its users don’t have to worry for rusting. It is counted for high mechanical performance and it has a sensitive trigger that is micro metrically designed. Now, doesn’t all this sound mesmerizing? As a matter of fact, it does and you cannot stop yourself from falling for it, if you are into water sports.
Okay, a little about the shaft is made from stainless steel (174ph) that can hold multiple bands. This makes it a strapping weapon that can be used for any kind of water activity. It has an ergonomic handle and that is why it is called a wonder product. It has been engineered carefully to meet all the demands of a professional sportsman as well as that of a newcomer.
• Really suave looking speargun
• Easy to handle and grip
• The shaft is very beefy to move up
• Works on line mechanism
• The reel is included in the package and is 50 meters long
• Has a safety catch that makes the speargun worth
The only problem area that a few have complained against is the sharkfin area. They are made up of wires that do not look very beneficial to some. This is one thing that this speargun lacks but it is manageable again according to some. Like we always say, it depends on your needs and the kind of catch you will be making is most important here.
Hammerhead Evolution 2 HI-Bred Speargun
According to Charles Darwin, isolation creates a new opportunity for creativity, a perfect fusion of natural beauty with precision manufactured 21st-century technology. The Evolution 2 HI-Bred is created from hand shaped; solid stock Mahogany wood merged to the rugged and durable Evolution 2 Handle. It sets up with two band holes and rail track the length of the gun. It is quite easy to use, and safe. All of these features have come in mind with the Helix band system. Allowing for easy removal for storage, replacing bridges, while keeping safe are valued fingers and knuckles. The price range of this item is in between $ 444.00 – $ 516.00
• Power X-change bands with nylon coated Dyneema wishbones and bridles Pistol grip.
• Open Muzzle, One Piece Mahogany.
• Stainless Sideline release. Reverse Trigger Mechanism available.Mono shooting line, loading pad, bungee, & safety grip.
• Precision-machined 17-4 Heat-Treat Stainless Steel Shafts
• .All standard features are available.
• This speargun is handmade.
• This item is primarily designed for beginners.
• A few users have found the price tag to be little dear but a quality speargun that has all the features to go hunting will come for the price.
• Some complaint about the upgrades as to why do they need Hammerhead Evolution 2 only. Buying upgrades from the same company mean they come with quality assurance.
Riffe Competitor Series Teak Speargun
Riffe manufactures spearguns of hardwood and these guns in general are good fo both entry level aspirants as well as experienced users. It can be upgraded for use by an expert and its side mounted loading makes it safe for use by a novice. The Competitor series is made up of teak with a laminated finish and that makes the speargun a gorgeous weapon to start with. It is ideal to be used along with reefs, bottom diving and holes as well.
Moreover, this Riffe is well known for its stainless trigger and heavy duty ABS plastic handle. The bands are abrasion resistant that makes shooting through the rocks an effortless task. There is more to this model and they are as follows:
• The speargun is very attractive to look at
• The best part about this weapon is that it is available in Hawaiian as well
• It has a standard set up
• Automatic spring loading makes it convenient to load on the side
• The red colored urethane butt makes it comfortable to load
• The shooting line is made up of nylon which enables shooting fast
• Has 3 bands and 2 line wraps that helps you with long shooting
• Bands have more power and if you want to take longer shots, then you are recommended to get heavier shafts to achieve your goals
One thing that some Riffe users have complained about is the products being big-ticket. If you want quality with precision, then you will have to shell out a few more extra dollars for sure. If you get guaranteed excellence with a product, anyone on this planet would prefer paying a little more for sure.
Riffe Mahogany Competitor Series Speargun
As mentioned earlier, Riffe is popular for its good looking guns with pure wood finish. This Mahogany Competitor Series is no exception this and the sheer fact that it uses mahogany wood stock makes it a well admired speargun. Very clearly, this replaces the Padauk Competitor Series and by far has been successful in doing so. This is made up dense grain and requires no lamination at all. Not to mention, that this can be used by a beginner as well as a professional with equal ease.
In addition, to all this, this speargun is good hunt along holes, reefs, kelp patties, alongside the seafloor and round the rocks. It comes with ease of loading and if you want long shots, then you must get heavier shafts. Here is more on this:
• Has same stainless trigger mechanism
• Automated side loading that has a spring safety
• Expect to get reinforced muzzle, one that can be bolted
• The red colored butt of urethane is comfortable to load
• Available in only Hawaiian setup
• The monofilament is made up of nylon and is abrasion resistant that makes it faster to shoot
• The handle is made up of heavy duty plastic
A few users have found the price tag to be little dear but a quality speargun that has all the features to go hunting will come for price. As for those that know, appreciate the fact that a gun is actually available for this price. Some complain about the upgrades as to why do they need to be Riffe only. Buying upgrades from the same company means they come with quality assurance.
Do you care about relating product for spear fishing?
This is an important accessory of the speargun because if you shoot your gun without it, then you will never find it again. We have put everything we know about it in this section.
How to choose best suitable Speargun line?
Okay, the line that gets supplied with spearguns differ depending on the model you invest in. Some may be basic guns with nylon cord, others may be of multifilament line (nylon and smaller strands). If you do not have the slightest idea as to how to select the best speargun line, then here are a few ways that may help you with that.
• You may get to choose from gun mounted, attached to the gun or floatline types
• Moreover, they are made from stainless steel, Kevlar, monofilament and nylon, but make your choice wisely
• Consider the weight of your line, as light lines need less drag
• Their strength vary between 200 to 1000 pounds
• Stiff lines do not tangle
• For the record, you must be told that monofilament and nylon is a great combination, as they work in most cases
• Take care of your cables if you are taking the metallic way, as they may rust easily
Mares Spear Fishing Line
This is a strong fishing line, as it is made from what is called 100% Dyneema and woven HT polyester. This is why it has been termed as “15 times stronger than steel” and there is no denying that. Again, it is light in weight which is why it can float in water as it is “7 times lighter than steel”. This property makes it an ideal line for fishermen and for those who love hunting fishes.
Furthermore, you can make choice from two different ranges of tensile 400 pounds or 180 kg and 660 pounds or 300 kg. This gives you the leverage to decide and buy.
FMS Multi-Color 1.8mm and 2.2mm Heavy Duty Utility Cord Spectra Line
The Spectra Line is hydrophobic, which means it is moisture resistant. This implies that your line remains well-preserved in comparison to the others. It can also fight UV rays and that suggests it can resist degeneration. All this makes it a high performance line that can be used by backpackers, campers and hikers as well.
Yes, it is a favorite of any outdoor enthusiast owing to its availability in different colors and varied tensile strengths. You can take a pick from 350 pound (159 kg) of 1.8mm thickness to 400 pounds (181 kg) of 2.2mm thickness. One quandary that you may face with it is that of it being stiff, but yes it is not a soft loop as well.
The best part about using a speargun reel is that it can help you drag off the floatline. A good reel can make your float tangle free and that will help drag it easily. You will not be restricted while you dive into the water if you have a reel with you. There are a couple of more advantages of a speargun reel and they are as follows:
• You do not have pull the float harder
• You can tow your catch along with
• This aids in keeping the weed lines off you, as your diving buddy can always watch your back
• Facilitates you to catch big fishes like a snapper
MVD Horizontal Full Steel Speargun Reel for Spearfishing
If you are looking for something that has minimal effect on buoyancy, then the MVD Horizontal is for you. It has a durable base that provides insulation to most of the spearguns on hand in the market today. More or less, the axle is made from marine steel, which is a quality in itself. It has an ergonomic design and an agility that most spearguns need. Besides, these come with an array of choices for you, like:
• X-Large, which is up to 110m and 2mm dyneema
• Large, that is up to 70m and 2mm dyneema
• Medium is up to 40m and 2mm dyneema
Hammerhead Remora Reels (Red Line, 50m)
This needs horizontal mount and its high definition stainless steel axel, bracket and line guide make it a product to look up to. This amply advocates about how robust this reel is. Plus, you can expect for a permanent attachment here that certainly means a lot. It is a lightweight composite spool that makes your drag very smooth. It is a composite of nylon that reduces the weight. You get to opt for which one suits you better from 90m, 50m to 25 m. You can use it on both aluminum and plastic spearguns that sweetens the deal for you for sure.
Riffe N.F. Horizontal Reel
The spool is made from fiberglass nylon and the body is heat treated aluminum. The core is anodized and this quite obviously calls out for a well-built reel. It has a stainless bail that prevents the spool from tangling and it has 4 positions drag facility. It ranges from free to strong drag that could be used as per your requirement. This reel comes with threaded inserts and that is another feature that adds to its functionality. Not to mention, that it mounts on RIFFE spearguns without much of a difficulty. You can use for similar shaped barrels from other manufacturers also.
Speargun Reel – Pro Series
This is not only named pro, but also performs like one. It can drag very smoothly, yet strongly that helps you to take your hunt out of the water safe. It has been dubbed as the most demanding by the fishermen because of light in weight and super quality. It makes winding smoother as well. You can actually use it for quick catch and then wind it back rapidly. It can be used for wooden, aluminum and even for carbon spearguns. You can elect one for you among the various kinds that range from 30 meters to 100 meters. Well, that is quite a lot to decide from, but this is nothing comparing to the fun you will have out in the wild.
Riffe N.F. Horizontal Speargun Reel (No Line)
It comes from a brand name like that of RIFFE and there are no doubts about the fact that it is a standard reel. One thing that this does not accompany with is the line and you will have to buy that separately. Nonetheless, this reel is made from stainless steel and has been designed in such a way that it will avoid the line from getting tangled. It has threaded inserts to and may need wooden screws for a few RIFFE models. You are free to drill it and use the way you want as it can totally customized. It can accommodate a long line of 150 feet and that should be enough for anyone!
JBL Wooden Speargun Line Reel
This is a low profiled, but horizontal line reel that makes your life easy. It has metal inserts that makes it brawny and ensure you of a strength accomplice. The drag knob is easy to operate and it releases quite effortlessly on top. You can attach it to rail mounts for JBL wooden spearguns. The glass nylon construction keeps it at a streamlined for your adventure as always. In short, if you are looking for anything simple, yet powerful, then this is it for you. A JBL never disappoints you and in this case also it happens to be true. You will know it, only if you try it!
Well, if you get your hands on, you will start getting a hang of things. This way you will learn what kind of gun you are most comfortable with. Plus, you need to get accustomed to the reel and line for good. What makes buying a speargun fun is the sheer pleasure of owning one. If you like fishing, then you must have one of your own.
Scuba Choice 5′ One Piece Spearfishing
This is a pole spear that comes with its own features and is a marvel product according to most users. It is a good pole spear that is available for an affordable price. It is 5 feet long, the pole is made from fiber glass and stainless steel build, bard tip is 12 inches long. That makes it rust free and you can live in peace about investing in a spear that is of low maintenance. That is pretty much about it but many customers have praised it for much more than this and we will be discussing all that in a while from now.
What we needed to add to this description is that, it can catch both small and large fish. The black rubber sling is positioned in the crook that is near to the users thumb for easy release. This implies that the spear pole has been ergonomically made and can do wonders while playing your sport.
• Has a clean and suave look
• It is a simple device
• This suggests it has no learning curve, but yes you need to know spearfishing
• Easy to carry
• Low on maintenance
• It is heavier than aluminum and carbon fiber owing to its fiber glass build
• It is considered to be a boon for catching large fishes
A handful of users want the pole to be longer, well you can extend it always. Another fact, that we have noticed is that some customers do not know how to assemble it. In case, you don’t then we would recommend you to seek professional help instead of bad mouthing the product.
7. 5/8in(16mm) Speargun Band with Stainless Steel V Wishbone and Black or Amber Primeline Rubber (Select Length and Color)
Gone are the days when people were bound to buy speargun bands from local fisherman supplies shops only. These days you get them online and what makes it more exciting is that you get them in different colors. That certainly describes our next product called the Speargun Band with Stainless Steel and it comes with a ubber primeline. What makes it different is the availability of the primeline in amber and black. Now, that sounds pretty good if you are looking to add a dash of color to your speargun.
The best part about this band is that they are purely US made and not cheap duplicates. It has been documented that these rubber bands are of the finest quality that can retain freshness in the best possible ways. The V shape of the wishbone makes it convenient for users and its stainless steel construction keeps it free from rusting. It is compatible with most of the leading brands like JBL, AB Biller and more. Most users are happy to utilize these burly bands as they are genuinely nice.
• The band is of 1.75 inches in length
• The rubber tubing diameter is of 5/8inches ± 0.020inches
• The tensile strength has been recorded to be of 3500 min
• You get them in a variety of colors
• The wishbone is 6inches and 2.5mm of stainless steel
A few people complain that these bands are small but the manufacturer has clearly mentioned it all, yet if some miss to read them, then that is a problem. You need to read the instructions clearly and then buy a product. This does not bring down the image of this product as that is a personal view.
We also have a buying guide about Spearfishing Wetsuit, just click here to view it
Cressi Scuba Diving Snorkeling Free diving Mask
In order to clearly see through after taking that plunge, you need to wear a scuba mask. It helps you maintain dryness and most importantly keeps a check on the health of your eye. The Cressi Scuba gives you an array of colors to choose from and what makes it a good choice is that it is light in weight. It has a no frame design that makes it lightweight. The soft silicone mouth piece is flexible and is a boon for professionals.
Water is a magnifier and normal sized fishes and aquatic plants make look bigger and light bends the through water. This Cressi Scuba mask can be a relief for all these and helps you see accurately in water. It is popular with underwater photographers, hunters and divers alike. You can find a lot more about this mask right here, keep reading.
• Smart looking scuba mask
• Available in vibrant colors
• Has a broader field of view
• It has a low volume design
• It can fit kids and adults very well
• It fits into your BC pocket without much of a difficulty
• It is submersible dry mask
• The top remains dry and eliminates water to penetrate any further (like into your eyes)
A few users have complained that the mask gets foggy, but then there are some who have an instant solution for this. The solution lies in using anti fog spray that will take care of this problem. Using it can help you preserve your mask and make it last longer as well. Consider mask to be indispensable if you are planning to dive into the water any time in the near future.
How to use a speargun?
The point is, treat your speargun as a weapon and then you will know there is not much difference in handling it and any other firearm. You need to be cautious, practical, tactical and responsible while carrying a weapon. That still holds right and yes, in this case too they remain to be the basic details that you need to follow. There is more to how to use a speargun indeed and they have been documented in the following pointers:
• Always point the muzzle of the speargun in a safe direction, i.e. away from animals, humans and anything that you don’t to shoot
• Never keep your finger on the trigger as it may cause fatal accidents
• The best way to handle a firearm is to think that it is loaded at all times
• Make sure that you load it underwater and never on land
• Again, load them on your chest and not on your hip
• This is because you will find pulling the rubber bands towards your chest to be easier
• It is much more comfortable with a wetsuit on
• Ensure that nothing untargeted is standing as an obstruction in your way when you fire
• The biggest challenge in underwater Spearfishing is adjusting the height of the target object and quick measurement of the real and apparent height difference and shoots accordingly.
Take notice of these few things to make it a flowing experience for you underwater. We also have an article called free guide for spearfishing as well as tips & techniques, click here to view it