In simple words a speargun is a firing arm that helps you catch a fish or other animals underwater. It is also known as a scuba gun and they have a trigger mechanism that they run on. Spearguns are used for spearfishing, a few use it for a living, can be used for snorkeling and underwater for target shooting and other can use the same as a thrilling adventurous sport. These guns differ in make a little according to countries, but as far as the purpose is concerned, it remains somewhat the same as explained in this Premium Guide how to buy the best speargun as well as giving the best speargun reviews. The demand of it in rising side and in this year 2017 it’s going to be one of weapon to look for. Read more to know about this unique weapon.
Type of speargun
There are two types of speargun that you primarily need to know about. They are as follows. Rubber powered – This is a cheaper resource, also known as band powered and is easy to be found in most fisherman supply shops. These are of two types in turn, one is made from wood and the other is made from metal. Air powered – Most popularly known as a Pneumatic gun that were quite a rage in the 60’s through 70’s. This kind of a gun has a thicker spear that uses a combination of pressure and rubber band for shooting.
Is speargun safe?
While bearing a weapon of any kind, you need to keep them safe as a responsible arm owner. You need to keep it under control and know when to pull the trigger. Never point it at something that you never wish to kill and also remember to stay away from bigger species like sting ray and electric eel if using it underwater.
In this Post I’d like to give one of the Best Speargun Reviews
We have curated a few of the spearguns under scanner for you, read this section till the end to get a fair understanding about these weapons.
Cressi Geronimo Elite Mimetico
The Cressi Geronimo Elite Mimetico is an upgraded version of the Geronimo Pro. It uses circular rubber muzzle that works on the principle of hydrodynamics. To be honest, Cressi had been serving the water sports industry ever since 1963 and it manufacturers top class products. This speragun under review is no exception to this rule as it has been careful engineered to make your life easy.
Besides, the barrel is made up of aluminum alloy that is fixed to a heat treated stainless steel shaft. This makes it a sturdy speargun that is resistant to bending which is a boon for many tropical divers and spearos. It has a strong grip, the loading has been well supported and the patented technology always pays off. There is more to this speargun and they are follows:
• Its Italian design makes it look attractive
• Do not judge it by its looks as it can shoot like a rocket
• Can be used to catch fishes from the reef like sheapshead and cobia
• The barrel is made from corrosion free metals
• The steel used in the shaft is Swedish
• It can customized for better results
The only thing that we recommend is to know how to load a speargun as this will solve half of your problems. We have come across a few users that do not know how to load a speargun which is why they have lost pieces or misplaced the irreplaceable parts of the weapon. Then they mark down their review stating the manufacturer did not pay attention to this, but in reality, if you lose the components, how can you blame the manufacturer?
AB Biller Wood Mahogany Special Speargun
There is nothing new that we can say about a Biller speargun because there is already is a lot noise regarding that. It is a leading manufacturer of spearguns and they produce premium merchandise only. This Illinois based company manufactures pole spears, spear points and spearguns. Their quality is unsurpassed and they have what it takes to generate innovative products.
The Mahogany series is a series of hardwood spearguns that not look attractive but also deliver what they claim. Most of the users have found it to be an excellent product from Billers without any doubts about it. What more you get into the bargain is a choice of woods like Teak, Mahogany and Padauk. Not to forget, that wood spearguns are the choice of the champions. Use it to exploit in clear or limited visibility waters and swim fast in between the rocks with this speargun, as you can enjoy a lot with this weapon.
• Extremely good looking speargun
• You get a list of choices to select from, like shooting from 6 feet to 15 feet spearguns
• The shaft is made up of stainless steel
• That certainly makes the gun to be hard-wearing
• Biller knows how to add a finish to their guns like using linseed oil whenever necessary
• Easily available at leading online retailers
Some customers have said that they missed fishes while using the Mahogany Special, but we ask of them if this is the gun’s fault, if at all. These reviewers did not make it clear as to how is the speargun responsible for all this. Since, this inconclusive an argument, we deduce that this firearm is good to go.
AB Biller Stainless Steel Professional Speargun
As we have already mentioned it that Biller is a company to look up to, the present product is no exception to this. This company alone can provide you with so much of variety but they never compromise on the quality. The Stainless Steel Professional is a great product to start with. You all know that a speargun has to be light in weight because unless you are a well built person, a heavy weight gun will be of no use to you. Besides, investing in the wrong size gun can ruin your fishing experience indubitably.
Spearos like the Stainless Steel Professional because it has a trigger and grip mechanism that can work in sync and produce great results. This is a smooth working speargun and you can use this underwater as well as shore hunting. Yes, this is a versatile gun that knows no limits. More to the point would be to say that this is a gem of a gun that can be used in any climate. Here is more on this:
• Suave looking speargun
• The stainless shaft makes it hardy enough
• Has a muzzle top that is easy to load
• It comes equipped and is ready to use right out of the box
• It has been considered a blessing for good long shots
One thing that we would like to urge our readers is that of, to learn speargun first and then jump into the water. There are quite a few that have complained about the gun being flimsy underwater. We are unaware, what that even means. Nonetheless, we request our readers to learn it and then try diving into the waters.
SALVIMAR V-Pro Speargun with Reel
It has been rightly named the Voodoo, because of the enticing neon green handle. This Arbalete Speargun has been made out of aeronautical grade aluminum and has been given an anodized coating. There is no need of explaining of how well made this gun is and its users don’t have to worry for rusting. It is counted for high mechanical performance and it has a sensitive trigger that is micro metrically designed. Now, doesn’t all this sound mesmerizing? As a matter of fact, it does and you cannot stop yourself from falling for it, if you are into water sports.
Okay, a little about the shaft is made from stainless steel (174ph) that can hold multiple bands. This makes it a strapping weapon that can be used for any kind of water activity. It has an ergonomic handle and that is why it is called a wonder product. It has been engineered carefully to meet all the demands of a professional sportsman as well as that of a newcomer.
• Really suave looking speargun
• Easy to handle and grip
• The shaft is very beefy to move up
• Works on line mechanism
• The reel is included in the package and is 50 meters long
• Has a safety catch that makes the speargun worth
The only problem area that a few have complained against is the sharkfin area. They are made up of wires that do not look very beneficial to some. This is one thing that this speargun lacks but it is manageable again according to some. Like we always say, it depends on your needs and the kind of catch you will be making is most important here.
Cressi Geronimo Elite
Basically this is an upgraded of the Geronimo Pro that had been a favorite with many fish hunters. This has been designed keeping hydrodynamics in mind and it can be customized to fit into your requirements. The hand grip has been improved and strengthened to serve you well. This speargun comes with a set of instructions that you need to follow for best results and you need to be trained to use because it is like snipe gun for underwater.
There are many things that can be discussed for buying this, but we choose to keep it short and simple. Get low maintenance spearguns – band or pneumatic powered. If going for band power then choose what suits you best – The European Style Gun, The Rail gun or The American Style Gun. Check on the shooting line – lighter is lesser drag. Stretch of the bands also matter. Length of the speargun depends on the species you will be hunting
• The shaft is made from Swedish steel so quality is in its built from beginning
• Light in weight
• The barrel is well contoured, corrosion free, heat treated and has a camouflage pattern
• It has a professional release and is very safe to use
• The muzzle has a pivoting bow that can disappear completely when lowered down
• It is a good workout
• A form of mediation that helps you with breathing exercises
• You can always get fresh fish
• You tend to fly each time you are in action
• No denying the fact, that you get in touch with your primal self and that’s really a pleasure
• This speargun does not contain Reel within box but it used to be shown everywhere
Riffe Competitor Series Teak Speargun
Riffe manufactures spearguns of hardwood and these guns in general are good fo both entry level aspirants as well as experienced users. It can be upgraded for use by an expert and its side mounted loading makes it safe for use by a novice. The Competitor series is made up of teak with a laminated finish and that makes the speargun a gorgeous weapon to start with. It is ideal to be used along with reefs, bottom diving and holes as well.
Moreover, this Riffe is well known for its stainless trigger and heavy duty ABS plastic handle. The bands are abrasion resistant that makes shooting through the rocks an effortless task. There is more to this model and they are as follows:
• The speargun is very attractive to look at
• The best part about this weapon is that it is available in Hawaiian as well
• It has a standard set up
• Automatic spring loading makes it convenient to load on the side
• The red colored urethane butt makes it comfortable to load
• The shooting line is made up of nylon which enables shooting fast
• Has 3 bands and 2 line wraps that helps you with long shooting
• Bands have more power and if you want to take longer shots, then you are recommended to get heavier shafts to achieve your goals
One thing that some Riffe users have complained about is the products being big-ticket. If you want quality with precision, then you will have to shell out a few more extra dollars for sure. If you get guaranteed excellence with a product, anyone on this planet would prefer paying a little more for sure.
Riffe Mahogany Competitor Series Speargun
As mentioned earlier, Riffe is popular for its good looking guns with pure wood finish. This Mahogany Competitor Series is no exception this and the sheer fact that it uses mahogany wood stock makes it a well admired speargun. Very clearly, this replaces the Padauk Competitor Series and by far has been successful in doing so. This is made up dense grain and requires no lamination at all. Not to mention, that this can be used by a beginner as well as a professional with equal ease.
In addition, to all this, this speargun is good hunt along holes, reefs, kelp patties, alongside the seafloor and round the rocks. It comes with ease of loading and if you want long shots, then you must get heavier shafts. Here is more on this:
• Has same stainless trigger mechanism
• Automated side loading that has a spring safety
• Expect to get reinforced muzzle, one that can be bolted
• The red colored butt of urethane is comfortable to load
• Available in only Hawaiian setup
• The monofilament is made up of nylon and is abrasion resistant that makes it faster to shoot
• The handle is made up of heavy duty plastic
A few users have found the price tag to be little dear but a quality speargun that has all the features to go hunting will come for price. As for those that know, appreciate the fact that a gun is actually available for this price. Some complain about the upgrades as to why do they need to be Riffe only. Buying upgrades from the same company means they come with quality assurance.
Riffe Mid-Handle Series Speargun:
Riffe Mid-Handle Series speargun offers more skill and dexterity when tracking game. Primarily it is a stomach loading speargun. This is the most desirable speargun for a close bottom and blue water huntsmen alike. It is a heavy-duty 4 laminate teak stock with side machined grooves, easy to handle, and threaded shaft with the large replaceable two-barbed spearhead. All Riffe models include reinforced teak wedges for added muzzle strength. The price range of this speargun is in between $734.00 – $1,210.00. Specifically, this speargun is the choice for those serious Bluewater Hunters who pursue the big pelagic fish of the open ocean.
• The speargun is very attractive to look at.
• Heavy-duty 4 laminate teak stock with side machined grooves for ease of handling, spearhead.
• Optional wing kit (Blue Water only) maintains stability while tracking and reduces recoil during firing.
• 5/16″(8mm) threaded shaft with large replaceable two-barbed.
• Nice design, three powerbands standard (four on Blue Water).
• Tip upgrade available.
• Locking-pin safety is included.
• It has a standard set up.
• Highly recommended.
• Low on maintenance for everyone.
• Very lightweight and easy to carry.
• You have to be careful about loading the speargun.
• Another fact, that we have noticed is that some customers do not know how to assemble it.
• It has a low volume. Other than professional advice you cannot try it yourself.
Hammerhead Evolution 2 HI-Bred Speargun
According to Charles Darwin, isolation creates a new opportunity for creativity, a perfect fusion of natural beauty with precision manufactured 21st-century technology. The Evolution 2 HI-Bred is created from hand shaped; solid stock Mahogany wood merged to the rugged and durable Evolution 2 Handle. It sets up with two band holes and rail track the length of the gun. It is quite easy to use, and safe. All of these features have come in mind with the Helix band system. Allowing for easy removal for storage, replacing bridges, while keeping safe are valued fingers and knuckles. The price range of this item is in between $ 444.00 – $ 516.00
• Power X-change bands with nylon coated Dyneema wishbones and bridles Pistol grip.
• Open Muzzle, One Piece Mahogany.
• Stainless Sideline release. Reverse Trigger Mechanism available.Mono shooting line, loading pad, bungee, & safety grip.
• Precision-machined 17-4 Heat-Treat Stainless Steel Shafts
• .All standard features are available.
• This speargun is handmade.
• This item is primarily designed for beginners.
• A few users have found the price tag to be little dear but a quality speargun that has all the features to go hunting will come for the price.
• Some complaint about the upgrades as to why do they need Hammerhead Evolution 2 only. Buying upgrades from the same company mean they come with quality assurance.
Riffe Padauk Competitor Speargun For Scuba Diving and Spearfishing
The Competitor Series Spearguns are specially designed for competition and entry-level divers alike. It is the more affordable version of this Series, suitable for hunting around reefs, holes and on the bottom. Each diver may upgrade any of our spearguns. The Competitor speargun has a slimmer teak stock, plus a 5″ (127mm) bungee shock cord for simplicity of loading. A rest tab may be added for ease of cooking and for lower power shooting around rocks. This speargun is very attractive, not only the way it performs but its looks also. Its price is $265.56.
• Laminate padauk wood stock.
• Available in Hawaiian & Standard setups.
• 9/16″ (14mm) amber power bands (may upgrade to 5/8″ or 16mm bands) for additional beating power and longer shots – recommended with heavier shaft.
• 1/2″ Powerbands. 9/16″ Powerbands on the 3X & 4X models.
• A single wrap of line with Bungie Pigtail Swivel Assembly. 3-band guns have the extra wrap.
• Accept all suitable Riffe accessories and parts.
• The makers replaced the teak with the African blood wood.
Not everyone seems to be delighted with this product but those are not happy with this product, are not very few in number.
• Some of the consumers reported that the gun cannot be assembled properly.
• Some consumers complained that the quality of this gun is very low.
• Professional help might be needed if you are not sure how to use it.
Hammerhead Evolution2 Raptor Speargun, Spearfishing, Diving, Free Diving
The most exciting fact about this Hammerhead Evolution 2 Raptor Speargun is that it absorbs some of the energy when firing. This has allowed Hammerhead to step up the rigging of this gun to utilize two 17.5 mm diameter bands. The other fantastic features of the Evolution 2 Raptor speargun are the great design to the open muzzle allowing it to be simply a setup for both left and right-hand users. It has deep defined posts and notches for the shooting line to sit in and not come loose. Hammerhead has even designed the area for making the second line wrap around the line guide rounded with a lip to hold the line in place. This unique speargun price range is in between $330.00 – $361.00.
• E2 Handle – stainless steel parts, housing, sear, pins.
• Elliptical Ploy coated Barrel – increased tracking, stealth and reduction in recoil.
• 9/32″ diameter, Stainless steel 17-4, hardened shaft with Welded Hydro tabs.
• Stainless steel trigger, sideline release, and adjustable trigger sensitivity.
• Open muzzle – dual bands holes.
• The drawback of this item is its laser accuracy, no recoil, and a dependable greater shooting distance.
• Evolution 2 Raptor Speargun also comes rigged with a medium quality.
• The lacking in quality from other manufacturers is usually the first thing that can be changed out on a new gun.
In this post I also mention some relating products you might need for spearfishing hunting
Have a look at the some of the related products that you may need to upkeep your speargun .
Mounchain Camo Wetsuits Mens
This is a perfect wetsuit that can be used for snorkeling, surfing, diving, spearfishing and any other water activity that you can think of. Why so? This suit is made from neoprene (80%) and nylon (20%) but is highly waterproof. It can keep you warm and provides for a camouflage underwater for any activity that you may undertake.
This two piece wetsuit has more to it than what may look like and we have included here on this list owing to many factors. The 3MMneoprene not only provides thermal protection, but also keeps you safe from jellies, sea lice and other biological irritants. This means it keeps you secured in all inclusive way and you can read through the following discussion to get a fair idea as to what it is:
• Nice camouflage design
• Can be used for topside and underwater activities
• Gives you protection from UV rays
• Additionally, it provides you with full body protection from harmful irritants and dangerous aquatic species
• Easy to slip on because of the neoprene
• It is a flexible wetsuit because the armpit is super stretchy
• It is a comfortable wetsuit to wear
• Keeps you warm all through your diving
• Comes with 40 days money back guarantee
A few users have complained that this wetsuits is not good for diving into cooler waters. Well, don’t we all know that 3MM is not the choice for 15 degrees Celsius? The suit comes with clear instruction of being a 3MM and there are no doubts about it. Why crib if you still buy it knowing that you will be using in colder conditions? That makes no much sense at all.
Scuba Choice 5′ One Piece Spearfishing
This is a pole spear that comes with its own features and is a marvel product according to most users. It is a good pole spear that is available for an affordable price. It is 5 feet long, the pole is made from fiber glass and stainless steel build, bard tip is 12 inches long. That makes it rust free and you can live in peace about investing in a spear that is of low maintenance. That is pretty much about it but many customers have praised it for much more than this and we will be discussing all that in a while from now.
What we needed to add to this description is that, it can catch both small and large fish. The black rubber sling is positioned in the crook that is near to the users thumb for easy release. This implies that the spear pole has been ergonomically made and can do wonders while playing your sport.
• Has a clean and suave look
• It is a simple device
• This suggests it has no learning curve, but yes you need to know spearfishing
• Easy to carry
• Low on maintenance
• It is heavier than aluminum and carbon fiber owing to its fiber glass build
• It is considered to be a boon for catching large fishes
A handful of users want the pole to be longer, well you can extend it always. Another fact, that we have noticed is that some customers do not know how to assemble it. In case, you don’t then we would recommend you to seek professional help instead of bad mouthing the product.
Cressi Scuba Diving Snorkeling Free diving Mask
In order to clearly see through after taking that plunge, you need to wear a scuba mask. It helps you maintain dryness and most importantly keeps a check on the health of your eye. The Cressi Scuba gives you an array of colors to choose from and what makes it a good choice is that it is light in weight. It has a no frame design that makes it lightweight. The soft silicone mouth piece is flexible and is a boon for professionals.
Water is a magnifier and normal sized fishes and aquatic plants make look bigger and light bends the through water. This Cressi Scuba mask can be a relief for all these and helps you see accurately in water. It is popular with underwater photographers, hunters and divers alike. You can find a lot more about this mask right here, keep reading.
• Smart looking scuba mask
• Available in vibrant colors
• Has a broader field of view
• It has a low volume design
• It can fit kids and adults very well
• It fits into your BC pocket without much of a difficulty
• It is submersible dry mask
• The top remains dry and eliminates water to penetrate any further (like into your eyes)
A few users have complained that the mask gets foggy, but then there are some who have an instant solution for this. The solution lies in using anti fog spray that will take care of this problem. Using it can help you preserve your mask and make it last longer as well. Consider mask to be indispensable if you are planning to dive into the water any time in the near future.
Riffe C.F.N. Speargun Reel (No Line)
One of the moist important components of a fishing rod and a speargun is the reel. The Riffe C.F.N. Speargun Reel (No Line)is an innovative product that is no different than its other merchandises. It is a quality reel that you can rely on if replacing your old one, especially if you own a Riffe speargun. It is light in weight and we do not need to mention anything more than this for this.
Nevertheless, we are here to discuss more about this product as this is an honest review of the Riffe C.F.N. This reel is corrosion resistant that can fit into a speargun of any kind. It is a heavy duty product that has high impact strength and can deliver what it promises in the best possible ways. You can get more details about this reel in the forthcoming sections that will equip you with its advantages and disadvantages. We needed to incorporate all of this because we wanted to act like any honest reviewer would.
• Smooth working reel
• Light in weight
• Can hold up to 200 feet of line
• It has a unique tangle free design
• Has an automatic drag that enables free reeling
• Spool can easily set back in place
• Expect to get a high impact product
A handful of users want the brand to provide the line as well with this reel. Now, that is something you need to purchase separately. We are only talking about the reel and not the line. The manufacturer clearly speaks about this, yet people complain but this does not bring down the quality of this product.
Scuba Choice Spearfishing 12″ Stainless Steel Pole Spear Tip Single Barb Head
This 12 inches long pole is made from stainless steel that makes the pole resilient. Most users have found it to be a good pole and what surprises them is the price. They know they get a good bargain as the asking price is quite low and the quality that they get in return is rather unyielding. This means if you are planning to buy a pole at a moderate price, then you should look no further. This remains to be a handy pole that is easily available at most online outlets as well as traditional shops. You choose what suits you the best.
Look the measurements are given and you need to read through them first instead of ordering them. We say this because some users have complained about the size not fitting into their spear. This is manual error and not the pole’s fault as you need to your speargun and then place an order. Otherwise, this is a feasible way to get your pole replaced when there is a need. Are you still thinking? Give it a go.
5/8in(16mm) Speargun Band with Stainless Steel V Wishbone and Black or Amber Primeline Rubber (Select Length and Color)
Gone are the days when people were bound to buy speargun bands from local fisherman supplies shops only. These days you get them online and what makes it more exciting is that you get them in different colors. That certainly describes our next product called the Speargun Band with Stainless Steel and it comes with a ubber primeline. What makes it different is the availability of the primeline in amber and black. Now, that sounds pretty good if you are looking to add a dash of color to your speargun.
The best part about this band is that they are purely US made and not cheap duplicates. It has been documented that these rubber bands are of the finest quality that can retain freshness in the best possible ways. The V shape of the wishbone makes it convenient for users and its stainless steel construction keeps it free from rusting. It is compatible with most of the leading brands like JBL, AB Biller and more. Most users are happy to utilize these burly bands as they are genuinely nice.
• The band is of 1.75 inches in length
• The rubber tubing diameter is of 5/8inches ± 0.020inches
• The tensile strength has been recorded to be of 3500 min
• You get them in a variety of colors
• The wishbone is 6inches and 2.5mm of stainless steel
A few people complain that these bands are small but the manufacturer has clearly mentioned it all, yet if some miss to read them, then that is a problem. You need to read the instructions clearly and then buy a product. This does not bring down the image of this product as that is a personal view.
Spearit 5/8″(16mm) Super Premium Speargun Bands with Stainless Steel Inserts
Most users of this band have appreciated its quality and built. They have found it to be durable and user friendly. Additionally, the asking price is pretty reasonable and the stainless steel inserts ensure that these bands last you long. These are most compatible with spearguns with mini-fin and fin like shafts. To sum up, this band has lived up to the expectations and has been of assistance to those that needed a replacement.
It is available in different sizes and you could choose one according to your requirements. This makes it a versatile band and worth a try as well. You can learn s much about these bands in general but getting the perfect one for your speargun could be tedious task. The sheer availability of this band has made it easier for you without a second thought. These bands are a realistic solution for many and the reviews speak for them. A handful of people have complained about the color of the band as people a variety of colors as well. Unquestionably, that does not make interfere with the quality of the band.
Scuba Diving Knife
This is a multipurpose knife that can be used for snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, rafting, spearfishing and other kind of water sports. You can also use for camping, rope cutting and rescue. It is light in weight but has razor sharp edges that help you with tactical survival. Yes, it is a favorite of professionals because it can be used as a tactical knife as well. It requires less maintenance because of the stainless steel blade and corrosion resistant metal.
Most users prefer the black color as it can be camouflaged easily and the matt finish is much liked by all. Some users have found it life saving as it can cut through seaweed very easily when they get stuck. Moreover, with easy grip and precision cut, it is considered as a boon to many divers and survivalists. However, some users do not approve of the fact that they don’t get much of an option to choose from. We hope the manufacturer will pay heed to these complaints in the near future. Overall, this is a heavy duty knife that serves it purpose well.
How to use a speargun?
The point is, treat your speargun as a weapon and then you will know there is not much difference in handling it and any other firearm. You need to be cautious, practical, tactical and responsible while carrying a weapon. That still holds right and yes, in this case too they remain to be the basic details that you need to follow. Let’s see free guide for speargun , how to load a speargun…as well as spearfishing in general. There is more to how to use a speargun indeed and they have been documented in the following pointers:
• Always point the muzzle of the speargun in a safe direction, i.e. away from animals, humans and anything that you don’t to shoot
• Never keep your finger on the trigger as it may cause fatal accidents
• The best way to handle a firearm is to think that it is loaded at all times
• Make sure that you load it underwater and never on land
• Again, load them on your chest and not on your hip
• This is because you will find pulling the rubber bands towards your chest to be easier
• It is much more comfortable with a wetsuit on
• Ensure that nothing untargeted is standing as an obstruction in your way when you fire
• The biggest challenge in underwater Spearfishing is adjusting the height of the target object and quick measurement of the real and apparent height difference and shoots accordingly.
Take notice of these few things to make it a flowing experience for you underwater.
Can use of spearguns be prohibited in certain areas?
Ans. Yes, there are spots that are not suitable for fish hunting or any kind of underwater sport. Some are prohibited as they act like a protected habitat of fishes or marine life whereas some locations are risky. Adhering to these basic rules can save your life.
Can spearguns be used from a boat?
Ans. In order to avoid fatalities, you should not opt for such an adventure ever. This could prove to be life threatening.
How to secure a speargun underwater?
Ans. To be honest, you will not have the same hand-eye coordination in water as you have on land. So, fixing your speargun to a buoy or a float line can be handy. You can easily recover it in case it gets stuck underwater amidst the rocks or in a cave due to poor visibility. The buoy will act like a marker and you can relocate it in a jiffy.
Is loading a speargun on land a bad idea?
Ans. Yes, it is a big mistake and the best thing to do is to load it once you have reached a point to take a break underwater.
Does loading need a lot of practice?
Ans. Yes, it does. Although, most manufacturers provide you with the guidelines, but getting a little prepped up with the procedure can be a good idea. You need a lot of practice to pull it off underwater.
What is better rubber or pneumatic?
Ans. Rubber speargun is more popular because it is easy to use, readily available and is light in weight. On the other hand, pneumatic speargun can fire quietly but is appropriate for experienced users.
Speaking of spearguns, brings us to this topic that how can you maintain and keep them intact? These are simple weapons and they do not require much of an effort from you. Just bear the following things in mind to preserve them well:
• Rinse your speargun thoroughly after use or else the salt will play havoc on the metal
• Hang them to dry out
• Store them in cool places
• Keep the bands out of sunlight and you can keep them in the refrigerator as well
• If you have wooden speargun, then you should touch them up with the chemical of your choice as they might develop nicks
• Never leave your wooden speargun in your car if you live in a hot area
• Used threaded inserts for assembling and dismantling you gun
• You can remove the handle while installing a reel
• Avoid using over torque
The most important thing to know about using a speargun is to keep it safe. That said, you would need a license to sport with it in certain countries. You better find out about that in details as this was not a part of our discussion today. Get the details from local fishing communities and fisherman supplies shop. Nonetheless, we hope we have covered it all for you in this Premium Guide to buy a spear gun for you. Do let us know by the comments section and throw more questions at us, so that we can find an answer to them.